In order to receive an advanced paralegal specialty certificate, you must take a three or four course sequence as designated below. The courses are grouped according to their specialty certificate. Be sure to check with Renee Sova, Director of Advanced Specialty Programs, prior to signing up for your specialty certificate.
Prerequisites, where noted, are common core courses in most paralegal certificate and degree programs. The API course number is included for reference, but prerequisites do not need to be taken through the Institute if you are already a degreed or certificated paralegal.
The Institute offers specialty certificates in the following areas. Click a course’s number to view its description.
Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Advanced Litigation (C-525)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (C-530)
- Advanced Tort Law (C-535)
(Prerequisites: Civil Litigation (A102) and Tort Law (A-101))
- Advanced Corporate Law (C-555)
- Intellectual Property Law (C-565)
- Contract Law (C-556)
(Prerequisite: Business Law (B-202))
- Estates and Trust Law (C-570)
- Social Security, Medicare, and Government Pensions (C-575)
- Elder Law (C-580)
- Estate Planning (C-576)
Foreclosure and Debtor/Creditor Law