The images of abandoned or injured animals sear our memories and tug at our heartstrings. The thought of a defenseless animal…particularly, a defenseless animal that has been harmed…motivates us to either donate or join an animal rights organization. For those of you who are interested in law and animal advocacy, Animal Law may be the perfect fit. Earning a Paralegal Certificate puts you on the path towards working in this complex and exciting area of law.
Animal Law – A Definition
Animal Law encompasses a broad range of legal topics, such as cruelty to animals; negligence in veterinary care; importation or capture of exotic or endangered animals; animal fighting; responsibilities of pet owners; and the sale, raising and breeding of animals.
Animal Law Legal Areas
You think this area of law is uncomplicated? Think again!! For an in-depth look into this interesting and complicated area of law, go to http://www.animal-lawyer.com/html/animal_law.html. Following is a list of some of the areas an Animal Law attorney deals with:
- Administrative Law
- Animal Ordinances
- Bailee Liability
- Bite & Attacks
- Civil Rights
- Criminal Law
- Custody Disability Law
- Estate Planning
- Pet Liens
- Products Liability
- Veterinary Malpractice
- Wrongful Death
Role of Animal Law Paralegal
Animal Law attorneys deal with civil and criminal cases. The specifics of the paralegal’s job, of course, depend on the specialty of the supervising attorney. Following is a list of possible job duties a paralegal might perform:
- Interview prospective clients
- Conduct legal research
- Research cases likely to impact large numbers of animals negatively or positively
- Research animal codes and ordinances
- Assist in developing case by reviewing police reports, state and federal agency reports, animal cruelty investigations, etc.
- Liaise with expert witnesses
- Draft legal documents
- Organize and maintaining case file
- Assist with litigation process
- Assist in bill research regarding animal welfare or animal cruelty cases
A paralegal might find employment with a national animal rights organization, such as the Animal Legal Defense Fund (http://aldf.org/) or the ASPCA (http://www.aspca.org/About-Us), which was founded in 1866 and is the first humane organization in the Western Hemisphere.
What You Need
A law-related knowledge base and paralegal skill set is imperative in any area of law. A Paralegal Certificate and national certification (www.nala.org) is highly beneficial!
AIPS 100% Online Paralegal Certificate Program
Applicable and relevant curriculum designed for you:
- Business Law
- Legal Research
- Criminal Law
- Workshops: Lexis, Ethics, Law Office Skills, Administrative Law, Writing, Citation, Judgment & Analysis
- CP (Certified Paralegal) Test Prep Course for NALA CP Exam