“The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.”
Civil Rights Law…a forever-relevant area of law. But, what exactly is a civil right? A civil right is an enforceable right or privilege. If these rights and privileges are interfered with by another, legal action for injury can be pursued.
Civil Rights Law – A Definition
Civil Rights Law protects the rights and privileges of each citizen, such as freedom of speech, press and assembly; the right to vote; freedom from involuntary servitude; and the right to equality in public places.
The Civil Rights Law Attorney
The California Civil Rights law firm of Allred Maroko Goldberg gives us the following overview of the practice areas of a civil rights attorney: (http://www.amglaw.com/PracticeAreas/Civil-Rights-Law.asp)
Upholding the Civil Rights Act – one California client at a time
Your civil rights cannot be infringed by an employer, government agency or other institution. The Civil Rights Act and federal law guarantees equal protection for all California citizens, regardless of their age, gender, race, sexual orientation or place in society. .. Allred, Maroko & Goldberg has earned an exemplary reputation for the investigation, negotiation and litigation of California civil rights claims in the state and federal courts, including claims involving:
- Invasion of Privacy
- Access to Services
- Right to Work
- Racial Profiling
- Failure to Identify and a Correct Civil Rights Violation
- Gay Rights / Title VII Violations
Role of the Civil Rights Law Paralegal
Specific paralegal tasks will vary from job to job; however, a paralegal might assist an attorney by performing the following law-related tasks:
- Conducting initial interviews with prospective clients
- Drafting memorandum on behalf of their attorneys
- Analyzing claims/cases presented by clients
- Undertaking fact-finding investigations
- Conducting legal research
- Reviewing documents submitted by clients
- Maintaining legal files/handling legal software
- Interviewing case witnesses
- Organizing coordination with other firms
- Assisting with trial preparation
- Contacting court personnel
What you need!!
A law-related knowledge base and paralegal skill set is imperative in any area of law. A Paralegal Certificate and national certification (www.nala.org) is highly beneficial!
AIPS 100% Online Paralegal Certificate Program: Applicable and relevant curriculum designed for you!
- Business Law
- Legal Research
- Criminal Law
- Workshops: Lexis, Ethics, Law Office Skills, Administrative Law, Writing, Citation, Judgment & Analysis
- CP (Certified Paralegal) Test Prep Course for NALA CP Exam