The Association for Conflict Resolution (ACR) is the nation’s largest professional association designed specifically for mediators, arbitrators, educators and other conflict resolution practitioners.
The History of ACR
ACR was formed in 2001 from the merger of The Academy of Family Mediators; The Conflict Resolution Education Network; and, the Society of Professionals in Dispute Resolution. It was felt by conflict resolution professionals that one organization would be a more effective voice and collaborative decision-maker than multiple organizations.
ACR members are connected because of the skill set they possess and the part they play in conflict resolution. The job possibilities are many, because conflict is found in almost any situation. Following are some ideas of job possibilities found on the ACR website:
- Government employee working with shared neutrals program
- School educator teaching peer mediation
- Custody mediator in the court system
- Environmental mediator dealing with regulatory disputes
- Arbitrator dealing with corporate non-performance
- Public policy facilitator working with inter-agency conflict
- Divorce mediator working with families
What ACR Provides
Annual conferences where conflict resolution practitioners gather to…
- Learn new skills
- Discuss cutting-edge issues
- Keep abreast of what is happening in the expanding field of conflict resolution
Professional Interest Sections that allow practitioners to join with colleagues who share similar interests via…
Regional Chapters enable members to…
- Meet and share ideas with colleagues in their community
- Participate in activities that support their professional development
Committees and Initiatives where ACR hosts…
- Task forces
- Work groups
Paralegals in Mediation
The ACR Career Center provides resources for those who are searching for employment as a paralegal in conflict resolution, including a Legal Job Board. Conflict resolution professionals are necessary in every sector of our work force. So, it is not surprising that there is an availability of paralegal positions in public and private organizations. Paralegal positions can be found on the ACR website at http://careers.acrnet.org/jobseeker/search/results/?site_id=9002&vnet=0&max=25&keywords=legal&search=Search.
- ACR is an organization designed for conflict resolution professionals, such as mediators, arbitrators, educators and other professionals involved in this career area.
- ACR facilitates Conferences and Professional Interest Sections for professional development.
- ACR offers Regional Chapters plus Committee and Initiative opportunities for members who want to connect with colleagues or to work as a volunteer.