Regain or Retain Your Competitive Edge: Obtain a Paralegal Certificate
Pause, just for a moment, and recall what drew your attention to the paralegal profession. What was it about this profession that elicited a sigh of relief at the revelation that you had found your career home? Perhaps, you identified with the following traits and skills:
- Written/Verbal Communication Skills
- Investigative Skills
- Research/Analysis Skills
- Case Management Skills
- Organizational Skills
- Team Mentality
Perhaps the following paralegal tasks inspired you to envision yourself in a law firm:
- Investigating the facts of a case
- Researching relevant laws and statutes
- Organizing information for presentation
- Managing case files using computer databases
- Drafting correspondence, reports and legal documents for attorneys
- Being a part of a trial litigation team
Has the day-to-day tedium of your job diminished the passion that initially motivated you to set off down the paralegal career path? Don’t worry, there are ways to reignite your career passion. Consider the following information as you decide what you need to do to regain the competitive professional edge you once had…or feel you need.
Paralegal Job Outlook
In order to accurately assess your current paralegal situation, you must have accurate information about the paralegal profession as a whole. The Bureau of Labor Statistics is the “go-to” agency for career-related data. Read the following excerpt from the Paralegal page on the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) website at www.bls.gov:
Employment of paralegals and legal assistants is expected to grow by 18 percent from 2010 to 2020….
As employers try to reduce costs and increase the efficiency of legal services, they are expected to hire more paralegals and legal assistants…. This will cause an increase in demand for paralegals and legal assistants.
The “increase in demand” piece is what we want to focus on. BLS goes on to say the following:
Law firms will continue to be the largest employers of paralegals…. For many companies, the high cost of lawyers and their support staff makes it much more economical to have an in-house legal department rather than to retain outside counsel. This will lead to an increase in the demand of legal workers in a variety of settings….
In view of these statistics, what is your plan to ensure job retention and/or promotion? Hint: Potential employers often list formal paralegal training and the Paralegal Certificate as desired qualifications.
The Power of a Paralegal Certificate
The Paralegal Certificate is vital in maintaining your competitive edge in the job market. Consider these benefits:
- Confirms paralegal course competency and completion of training
- Adds credibility to law-related experience
- May increase your value to your employer
- Increases the possibility of internal promotions or in qualifying for more paralegal jobs
The AIPS 100% Online Paralegal Certificate Program
- Applicable and relevant curriculum designed for your career success
- Experienced and respected
- Taught by licensed attorneys and practicing paralegals
- Designed for working adults
- Engaging and interactive online format
Invest in yourself. Classes begin, monthly. Contact AIPS at 1-800-553-2420, or apply by clicking here.